Cooperative Program Pilot Objectives
The SNAC Cooperative pilot has two major categories of expected outcomes.
The first category is social, and covers administration, governance, and the member community.
- The SNAC Secretariat at NARA is established with staff fully proficient in administering the
ongoing operations and governance of the Cooperative.
- A governance structure is in place that includes, at a minimum, a Steering and Policy Committee;
additional structural components that will be developed in collaboration with members and may
include, among others, committees to address editorial policy, technology standards and
best practices, and research user services.
- A core thirteen-member community is established with a shared understanding of and
commitment to the cooperative's objectives and functions. The inaugural members will be
able to proficiently curate Cooperative data, and participate in Cooperative governance,
and recruiting and training new members.
- Fifteen to twenty new members will have been recruited for the second two-year phase of
establishing the Cooperative. The number of new members will be contingent on the
Cooperative's capacity to train new members.
The second category is technological (see also the Technology
Infrastructure Architecture Overview and the
Public Documentation Repository).
- Editing User Interface (EUI) will support adding new descriptions; revising existing
descriptions; revising relations in the social-document network; merging descriptions;
splitting descriptions and declaring descriptions obsolete.
- Data Maintenance Store (based on PostgreSQL) provides support for primary storage and
maintenance of data, and required services for dependent subsystems.
- Identity Reconciliation subsystem is in place to provide feedback through the EUI and
to be used in batch ingest of descriptions derived from external sources.
- Graph Data Store (based on Neo4J) is in place to support both graphical social-document
network displays in History Research Tool and exposing graph subset of SNAC data as RDF/LOD.
- RESTful API in place to support third party editing interface applications.
- Component Subsystem Integration middleware integrates Cooperative platform subsystems.