Cooperative Mission Statement
The Social Networks and Archival Context Cooperative strives to provide a global information resource that aggregates reliable descriptive data about creators and subjects of archival holdings in cultural heritage institutions, promoting easy access and discovery for researchers and the general public.
In support of this mission, our aims include:
- Creating a database of standardized, normalized descriptions of the people,
organizations, and families present as archival creators, subjects, and associations.
- Building a unique repository of high-quality contextual descriptive data through
the contributions of a diverse and broad community, promoting both collaboration
and wide access.
- Providing a tool for information professionals to create and contribute data
through a centralized infrastructure that provides access to and maintains a large body of data.
- Aiding the information professional in processing archival holdings efficiently
by providing connection to reliable existing descriptive data and associative links to
other high-quality digital humanities resources.
- Connecting scholars and educators to widely dispersed primary source material,
allowing for greater discovery of social and intellectual connections.