National Council for Prevention of War (U.S.)Alternative names
Created in September, 1921 in Washington, D.C. by representatives of 17 United States peace organizations to serve as a clearinghouse under the name of National Council for Limitation of Armaments; Frederick J. Libby was appointed Executive Secretary. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the organization changed its name in January, 1922 to the National Council for the Reduction of Armaments. In Fall of 1923, the name was changed again to National Council for Prevention of War. It was incorportated in 1931 under this name. The NCPW peaked around 1936. With strife building in Europe, the NCPW supported neutrality legislation, an anti-war referendum, and the Keep America Out of War campaign. After World War II, the NCPW worked to aid displaced persons and for justice in the War Crimes Trials. The NCPW cooperated closely with Committee on Militarism in Education, Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, Fellowship of Reconciliation, National Committee on the Cause and Cure of War, the National Peace Conference, Friends Committee on National Legislation, Emergency Peace Campaign, and National Council Against Conscription. Though greatly diminished after World War II, the NCPW continued under Libby's guidance until 1954, when he retired.
From the description of Records, 1921-1975. (Swarthmore College, Peace Collection). WorldCat record id: 20335374
Links to collections
Syracuse University Libraries